Sunday, October 19, 2008

Night of a play and a thousand drinks

On Saturday, trekked over to Noksapyeong (line 6), very near Itaewon and an extention of the foreigner zone, to a small 2F taverna called The Orange Tree for a presentation of the Seoul Players (an expat theatrical group) titled Night of 1000 Plays. I paid my W 10,000 and got a program. Looking inside, I was surprised to see there were only 15 plays! What a rip! I paid for a full thousand plays, as advertised--hell, it's in the title! There are legalities involved here, I'll sue, so help me...

Seriously, the idea was very interesting and the execution was pretty good: have local authors submit short plays of about three minutes, select the best ones, and assign them to teams of actors and directors. I'll not give you the blow-by-blow, since Chris in South Korea has done so in photos on his blog. It was hit-or-miss, as you might expect from such an undertaking; standouts included "Bin Laden's New Direction" in which the well-known terrorist attempts to improve his poll numbers, "Two-Minute Warning" which is football-style color commentary on the action of a performance of a Restoration tragedy--pretty cute, and "That Word" about a girl who uses the f-word so much it becomes the only thing she can say!

After that, I went to Sadang (line 4) to meet up with Max and Andy and pals. This is where the thousand drinks of the title comes in. We started at a chicken hof, went to a sake place where we sat outside, and then adjourned to noraebang, smuggling in five liters of beer we bought at Buy the Way, since apparently the singing rooms in this area don't allow alcohol. We had a good time, so much so I skipped the subway--not coincidentally, I hardly remember the taxi ride home, nor even how much it cost.

3 comments:

Andrew Lasher said...

I was going to ask you about the taxi cost, but am still working the booze out of my system. Nice day to have off, if I must say so.

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked my plays! (I wrote "Two Minute Warning" and "That Word"). Nice to hear they were well received!

Chris in South Korea said...

Night of a Thousand Plays was a wonderful experience, both to perform in (the first night) and to take pictures of (the second night). Cheers for coming out - and be on the lookout for the next play by the Seoul Players, 'The Reindeer Monologues' :)