Thursday, November 3, 2016

What a nice house!

Sadly, not my new apartment, though hopefully there will be some movement on that issue soon. No, that is the name of the current unit in fifth grade, and gave me a chance to show my creative chops again.

I found some interesting pics of rooms in houses, and some cutaway views. I settled on eight plus a "bonus". Then I made a sentence matching the lesson vocab, and turned them into fill-in-the-blanks. Cut out the sentence so its shape will cover the item(s) of interest in the room. Like so:


Then tape it upside down over the pic like it's a flap. Pairs of students lift the flap and make the sentence:


They then report back to their teammates, dictate the sentence, and the teammates have to write it down on their handout. Then they switch roles to do the next one ...


As you can see, students found this activity utterly engaging, and had no trouble remembering all the sentences at the end of class. Almost worth all the prep this required (I laminated everything, because I have five classes of fifth graders, and otherwise everything would be shredded pretty quickly).

No comments: