Friday, October 10, 2008

I Like Lists

I have, as you know, asked my students for ideas of places to visit in Korea. Following up on their thoughts, and Ben's statement that we did a hell of a lot in 12 hours, I think I've done a hell of a lot in 6 weeks.

To wit:
Dongdaemun/Dongdaemun market
Daehanmun/Changing of guard
Changdeokgung
Deoksugung
Tapgol Park
Hangang Park
Insadong
Itaewon
Sillim
Hongdae
Haeundae Beach
Coex Mall
Busan Aquarium
Kimchi Field Museum
Korea National Museum
Seoul Museum of Art
Deoksugung Art Museum
Busan Museum

Some of the places I want to go in Seoul:
63 Building
Namsan (Seoul) Tower
Namdaemun/Namdaemun market
LotteWorld
Seoul Land
EverLand
Seoul Aquarium
Rodin Gallery
Chicken Art Museum
Gyeonghuigung
Changgyeonggung
Gwanghwamun/Admiral Yi Statue
Statue of Hammering Man
Cheongwadae (Blue House)
Korean Comfort Women Protest
Namsangol Hanok Village
Bosingak
Yeouido/National Assembly
Seodaemun Prison
War Museum
... and I'm sure there are more.

Some (grade 2) students think that important Korean experiences include:
noraebang
PC bang
jimjilbang
bulgogi/samgyupsal/galbi/their favorite food
Jeju-do
DMZ
various mountains to climb
One of my favorite moments so far in class was the student who translated Namsan Tower's place name to "South Mountain"--which is quite correct.

No comments: