Friday, July 3, 2009

Call Me

We had an English Dept "meeting" today, held in Sky Onn Food at Gimpo Airport, where we had met previously, and which I blogged here. This one was exactly the same, except for the part about how it was payback for listening to the presentations about the technology in our new English Only Zone.

No, today was payback for not inviting me to the last English Dept "meeting". You see, here is what happened: Miss Lee had her demonstration lesson last Monday, which is traditionally followed by a celebratory get-together called a department meeting. While walking to school that day, I asked Hwang about it, and he said he didn't know the specifics, but 이금천 would let me know. Anyway, long story short, I heard no more about it and assumed it was postponed until later. So I trekked home at the end of a long Monday.

So on Tuesday, Miss Lee (이정현) spilled the beans, and I asked Mr Hur (허준영) why he didn't tell or call me--turns out, they had had a meeting (beef galbi no less, plus second round) Monday evening, and everyone thought someone else had told me, but no one did.
This is a little story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody.
There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.
Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.
Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.
Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.
It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Yeah. Like that. I understand completely. Really. There are at least four people responsible for different aspects of my tenure at Young-il High School, and I can easily see how something like this slips through the cracks. But what actually did hurt my feelings, a little bit anyway, was this: Once they realized, why did Nobody call? Everybody has my phone number, I'm sure Somebody thought of it, and Anybody could've called. But Nobody did!
I know where you're coming from
Call me on the line
Call me call me any anytime
Call me my love you can call me any day or night
Call me
Cover me with kisses, baby Oops...nevermind

So anyway, practically every member of the English Dept, certainly all those listed above, alerted me to the particulars of today's meeting. After all, its whole purpose was a make-up for the previous one. Nobody said anything about all that, except for 허준영, who sidled up to me at the "live dish" pasta (where you select the ingredients for a ragu and the chef cooks them while you wait) and explained to me how bad everyone felt, and how much they hoped I would enjoy the meal today.

Well, I certanly did.

No comments: