Saturday, April 10, 2010

Hillside Flowers

I posted up a couple of photos showing the very first spring blossoms back on March 16. For the last three weeks, I've been watching their progress, until finally the hillside is covered in blooms:


The yellow flowers, as I mentioned, are Yellow Bell, or cornel dogwood, 개나리 kaenari in Korean.



The fuschia flowers are from the 진다래 jindalae, the Korean azalea, L.: Rhododendron mucronulatum. It is rather large for an azalea, but the flowers are quite pretty.


It's that time of year, so I'll be trying to post more flowers in the near future--however, it seems Blogger/Picasa doesn't like flowers, as it has taken a full day to get it to load these four pictures! So you better enjoy them.

7 comments:

조안나 said...

There's a biggish hill not far from where I live which is basically a cliff, aside from some stairs built on the side so that people can climb up, where it's completely covered with these yellow flowers. It was really quite beautiful!

Tuttle said...

Last weekend when I went to Sangam for a soccer game, Cheonggyechun runs right alongside, and the kaenari were in full bloom already--the banks of theCheonggyechun looked amazing!

Andrew Lasher said...

Dude I don't want to question your geography, but is that really the Cheongyechun that runs next to the soccer field?

Tuttle said...

I have no idea. How many paved streams with bike/jogging paths along each side can be there in Seoul?

Andrew Lasher said...

A lot, yo. That stream runs north to south in the western part of the city, so there is no way it is cheongyechun. Cheongyechun starts at city hall and travels east to Dongdaemun. At least the above ground part does.

Just off the top of my head, you have the yangjaecheon that comes in at Jamsil stadium, annyangcheon that goes up from annyang to the han river, and whatever the one is that runs through Sillimdong...

Chris said...

This is educational. I only knew about the 안양천 (which feeds the 한강) and 도림천 (which feeds the 안양천) because they are in my neighborhood. Check out this map - indeed there are quite a few smaller rivers/streams feeding into the Han

Wow, 도림천 sure looks big on that map, for such a puny excuse of a stream every time I see it - hardly enough water to float a leaf.

Tuttle said...

Thanks for the geography lesson, gentlemen! Seoul is a very vast place--the more I learn about it, the more I realize that I don't know.