Sunday, January 29, 2012

맥주뚜껑, or Maekchu Dduggeong

Photobucket

... or Beer Caps. I have mentioned previously this example of a new style of bar gaining popularity here, a "self-service" wall of coolers from which one may partake of a healthy selection of worldwide beers.

Photobucket

Photobucket

They provide a variety of dried anju, but the coolest thing is that you can bring along your own food or order delivery. They even have a booklet of menus from local restaurants.

Photobucket

Though the chain has several storefronts, in Gyodae, Omokgyo, Sinchon and beyond, I've only been to the one in Sinjeongnegeori near my pal Kevin's abode. Here I am with friendly owner Jina last Friday night:

Photobucket

Good beer selection, good food (if you don't like the food, don't blame anyone but yourself), good friends; the only downside of the place is the music, which is mostly the electronic shrieking and ear-aching beat of what passes for music liked by kids these days. If you think that makes me sound like a crotchety old geezer, tough--I am a crotchety old geezer.

4 comments:

조안나 said...

Hey, I went to a place like this last week and thought it was awesome. I loved the concept! I wish I had had my camera... unfortunately, this place was way to far from my house (or anywhere else that I would ever want to go) so the chances of going back are kind of slim... but you give me hope that I can find a similar kind of place somewhere more convenient!

Tuttle said...

There's a similar chain (I went to one in Anyang) called Maekchu Kwan, or Beer Fanatic.

조안나 said...

The one I went to was called "Beer Mart" but I don't know if it's a chain or not...

Gavin said...

She's better looking than you!!!