Saturday, October 23, 2010

Yeouinaru

Most Saturdays from September till January, I am making a trek to Yeouinaru to teach a public speaking class to a rather select group of high school students. To get there, I pass out of Yeouinaru station on Line 5.

Once you disembark the train, you just seem to go up ...


... and up ...


... and up ...


... and up ...


... and up ...


... to finally get to street level:


I was very nearly late on my first trip through here because of the unexpected ascent. Then I saw that the Metro powers-that-be were thoughtful enough to provide a nice explanation of the situation:


Ah, no wonder. The subway tunnel is 29 meters (94 feet) below the fluvium channel of the Han River, and 47 meters (150 feet) below the surface.

Yeouinaru means 'Yeoui ferry crossing':


Like every inch of both banks of the Hangang as it passes through Seoul, there is a broad grassy citizens' park here, and on this fine Saturday afternoon, I took advantage of the weather and my proximity to have a little picnic after teaching my class. I wasn't the only one, either, as families were out in force:


But, seriously, it wasn't overly crowded, though there was a regular stream of strolling or cycling couples and families along the promenade. Here are a few snaps of the lovely scenery this day:







3 comments:

조안나 said...

I really hate yoinaru station... or any station with more than a 3 minute walk to transfer for that matter... But I figured that had to be the reason. No one builds a station that far underground for the heck of it.

Chris said...

You'll have to explain fluvium to me when I get back. I'm too lazy to even Google it!

Jayadeep(JDP) said...

I have been commuting to Yeouido the station before Yeouinaro and loving it for the descent and ascent because it gives me a good workout during an otherwise very static desk job. I used to commute by taxi and happened to figure out the station nearby(10m walk).