Sunday, June 23, 2019

Beijing, 2019-18: Food

As I have mentioned before, I have always loved what we call Chinese food in America. After having been to China five times, I still think I'd be fine with that food, but I do know that that food doesn't hold a candle to real Chinese food in real China!

Here's just a start with some amazing dim sum:


Less formal food, let's call it street food, is a common breakfast kind of food, like buns (aka bao), filled pancakes, porridge (aka jo) and fried eggs. I had these each morning during this visit, and I have to say the split stuffed bread was most awesome:


I have eaten lots of different kinds of foods in China, but TB introduced me to a new one on this trip, and I wonder if it is my favorite ever! I love lamb, and we are familiar with lamb skewers in Korea. However, this massive lamb shank, beautifully seasoned and deliciously pre-cooked for the table-top barbeque is incredible:


This particular restaurant offered a beer in a massive (difficult to open) aluminum container with an earthy, non-pasteurized flavor.

Not too far from the hotel TB puts me up in is an amazing open air food service plaza--served by the three or four restaurants that surround it. And he's the one who knows what to order, especially the duck/goose/that bird there.


Yunnan food is another of my favorite foods, especially hot pot 火锅. In this restaurant, there is a mild hot pot, and a spicy one. Mix up your dipping sauce, and then dunk the food items in whichever side you want to cook it in. Yummy.


Ah, Yunnan food:


Just for a point, there is an expat community in Beijing, including the Bookworm, the Pub (with our burgers pictured) and a number of craft breweries, including Slow Boat!


Ginny and I took a very good cooking class from a place called Beijinger Kitchen, in a hutong area, though I could be quite happy without the "market" visit, since it was a glorified quickie mart. The instruction, however, was excellent!


Some finished product:


No comments: