Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Yangmyung Graduation

I am back from my vacation, and you can expect to see several posts about it in the next week or two. But first, here is the last activity of the school year, which immediately preceded the vacation. And I do mean immediately: the graduation ceremony for sixth graders ended about 12:15, I locked up my classroom, went home and changed, then caught a taxi to the subway. My flight left on time at 4:35.

The ceremony tales place in the auditorium, which is a kind of addition located on the roof of the school building. There are about 95 sixth grade students, in four classes, each wearing their own colored shirts. It begins with a few dance or musical performances by the graduates, while their classmates look on:

 photo DSC_0001_zps26bb9f64.jpg
 photo DSC_0006_zps9ab411b3.jpg
 photo DSC_0010_zpsf791727d.jpg

The classes go in order, receiving their diplomas and a handshake from the principal while a slide show behind them displays a pic and some other information, like what they want to be when they grow up.

 photo DSC_0014_zpsb37640b0.jpg
 photo DSC_0033_zpse3c9e737.jpg

Then, special achievements are recognised, there is some group singing, and the new graduates are serenaded by the fifth grade chorus:

 photo DSC_0039_zps4be3ceb0.jpg

They then exit to applause, and go to a reception downstairs. I stand by the door to congratulate them, and receive lots of thanks, handshakes and hugs.

 photo DSC_0043_zpscf0771f0.jpg

It was about 4 C when I left school, and about 28 C when I arrived in Singapore at 10:15 local time. I had sixteen full days of sunshine in Singapore and Koh Samui, returning Monday night at about 10 o'clock. My walk to work the next morning--the first day of the new school year--was in good time, but an air temp. of 1 C. Sigh.

No comments: