Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Some Airport Pics


Visitors to this blog might know that I do love a nice vacation, and I (as mentioned earlier) had a nice one in Cambodia recently. Typically, I share lots of tales, impressions and photos from my time in my chosen spot(s). Having done this for a decade or so (and not having taken along my Nikon and therefore relying on my iPhone camera), I have decided to share pics from the journey rather than the destination.

The photo above was taken at a recently-opened children's play area at Incheon with a Pororo theme. Before boarding a flight, I prefer to get liquored up to calm my nerves as an unenthusiastic flyer, and so I spend some time in the bars and smoking lounges to take the edge off. The first shot is a new instruction at Incheon, and the second is what you have to use to light up in Guangzhou (or any Chinese airport) as they take away your lighters in security. The third is the smoker's lounge at Phnom Penh:


On this trip, I had two long layovers in Guangzhou, which I put up with as it slashed my ticket price to $375 or so. One gets peckish with four hours of waiting time. Curiously, the only meat available seemed to be chicken. Even McDonald's only had chicken. I was a bit taken aback by the menu shots there--um, am I the only one that finds those chicken nuggets suggestively placed next to the tall drink glasses with helmet-shaped lids?


The other restaurant was something like "Dicos" which has a leg quarter that's more or less white meat:


Guangzhou's terminal 2, seemingly devoted to China Southern flights, is quite impressive, while Phnom Penh brags on an awesome public toilet:


Back in the day, your luggage would have a sticker like "MAD" for Madrid, "ATL" for Atlanta-Hartsfield, or "ORD" for O'Hare. Now it's a barcode. But just lately, I've been getting stickers on my bag saying "RFID" no matter what airport it is, and obviously those are for "radio frequency identification":


Mystery … well, not exactly solved, but close enough. Anyway, I'll be staying around Seoul for Chuseok. Happy travels!

No comments: