Sunday, May 27, 2012

School Club Activity Festival

Photobucket
Sports Day was followed on Friday by the Club Activity Festival, where many of the school's clubs show of their work product, perform musical or other events they have been practicing for, or in others ways attempt to recruit new members. Most of the booths were set up in the parking area underneath the newly-opened gymnasium (not inside it for whatewver reasons), and the festivities were kicked off by a ribbon-cutting ceremony with numberous school luminaries including Principal Shim and the founder's duaghter:
Photobucket
In the past, both club activities and the club activity festival took place on Saturday mornings, but this year, with the end of Saturday school, it has moved to the school week. Club activities now take place on alternate Wednesday afternoons, which explains why I have no sixth or seventh period classes on Wednesday. Even though I am teaching only twenty of the twenty-two hours specified in my contract, no one thought of asking me to do a club.
One of the coolest clubs is "Team Graffiti", which is the illustration/manga club; they had their three last annual publications on sale for a total of 4000 W, and you got a free themed bookmark with each purchase. I bought the lot; they looked pretty good to me, not that I'm an expert--though I have recently been to the International Manga Museum in Kyoto.
Photobucket
Next door was the modeling club:
Photobucket
Next door to them was the Physics Club booth.
Photobucket
And next to them the Chemistry Club. A student is explaining potato starch putty, or "glop" (a non-Newtonian fluid) to the founder, the principal and the vice-principal, when I walked by:
Photobucket
In the corner, someone was (rather hazardously) burning various metal ion solutions to show their colors, and another kid was (nearly as dangerously) demonstrating touch-paper:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Inside my building, the roboticss club had taken over the foyer:
Photobucket
...and the downstairs classroom was site of what is, I suppose, the board-game playing club:
Photobucket
In my classroom was ensconced the anime-watching club (not pictured), with a looping presentation of Princess Mononoke. There were various musical preformances or jam sessions, and you could buy coffee and cookies, as well:
Photobucket
Photobucket
On the whole, a good time.

No comments: