Thursday, September 8, 2022

New Shopping Phenomenon in Seoul

There is a new way to do your grocery shopping in Korea, and it is self-service. No, I don't mean self-service check-out!


The whole shop is unmanned! Pick up your basket, select your items, then do the self-service check-out too!


Obviously, lower manpower keeps prices down, but while there are lots of national and international brands--Tabasco sauce half what it costs in Emart--there are also off-brands, and off tastes. The cheesy linguini microwave dinner was just fine. Yet, the cheapo quesedillas I got were actually cheapo! On the other hand, 7,500 W for a kilo of frozen mango slices, you can't go wrong!

I got a box of pork ribs for 9,900 W and tried them a couple of days ago--and they were awesome! I'm not saying the best thing I've ever eaten, but for real Western-style ribs at about eight bucks, they can't be beat!


Went back today and got more, for my it's almost Chuseok dinner. Cooked 'em up in my toaster oven. Look pretty good, right?

No comments: